Upgrade Onkyo PR-RZ5100 Pre-Pro with High Resolution Streaming and Dirac Live 3
The Onkyo PR-RZ5100 has performed seamlessly in my system for near 3 years. However, as technology has developed the Onkyo unit has fallen behind with each passing year. Three years ago I paid around 2200.00 dollars for the Onkyo Pre-Pro. Unable now to stream from High Resolution streaming companies such as Amazon Music HD or Tidal in High Resolution I became frustrated with Onkyo's lack of support/updates to utilize these Streaming services. Also, the Onkyo's room correction has a lot to be desired.
I was pretty much set on purchasing an Anthem AVM60 especially for the room correction software. However, I decided on a different approach keeping my Onkyo and just updating the system by adding different devices in order to bring about better room correction and High Resolution streaming. I'm not going to comment on the addition of room correction because I already provided a mini-review on the MiniDSP unit I added to the system in order to integrate Dirac Live 3. My review can be read here if you're interested: MINIDSP DDRC-88A WITH BASS MANAGEMENT - DIRAC LIVE 3
I'll use this time to talk about the Bluesound Node 2i.
- Connect to any existing stereo amplifier, AV receiver, or powered audio system.
- Featuring digital and analog input/output options, headphone stereo mini jack, and subwoofer out.
- Simple setup directly inside the user-friendly BluOS Controller app.
- Access and stream Internet radio stations, cloud music services, and your own local music library to multiple Bluesound Players.
- Dual band Wi-Fi and support for 2-way Bluetooth aptX HD ensures music playback without interruption.
- Control music wirelessly with the intuitive BluOS Controller app.
- Control it with the optional Bluesound RC1 Remote Controller
- Connect Bluesound to your Amazon Echo with the skill in the Alexa app and use Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant to control Players around the home.
- AirPlay 2 lets you play music or podcasts from wireless stereo components throughout your house — all in sync.
The optional Bluesound Node 2i remote may be purchased from Amazon.
Conclusion: I've really enjoy this device since its integration. Especially because I can now take advantage of High Resolution streaming by Qobuz.
Overall, between the MiniDSP and BlueSound Node 2i the upgrades cost $1600.00. That's far better than having to update to another Pre-Pro such as the Anthem AVM60 for 2800-3000 dollars.